Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Summer

My summers as a teenager were spent mowing yards in the neighborhood, chopping wood, clearing out weeds and other junk from a large shed @ my grandparents' house and 1 summer I painted their 4 bedrooms (all 16'X16') upstairs, plus my normal chores at home. I did that stuff plus Boy Scouts and church youth group and marching band practice for 2 weeks before school started.

None of this work was punishment. It was just work that needed to be done and I was the one who did it.

Kids now have no concept of what real work is. The funny thing is now that I look back on it, I guess I did a LOT of work growing up, but I still managed to have friends and have fun. I sure as heck didn't complain. I would have ended up with a warm backside and then go do the work anyway.

No comments: